Saturday, May 23, 2015

Locals' Reactions to a "Muzungu" in their Midst

People’s reactions to me can be classified into several broad categories. There are the drunken men who tend to make a significant minority of the townspeople (or maybe it just feels that way because they tend to make up a disproportionately large share of those who speak to me—or “at” me). Most drunks are harmless but annoying. The reasons why they roam the town streets and alleys tipsy as early as 11 am are probably tragic. However, I do not feel like I should waste my time communicating with intoxicated people as this will likely do them little good. I respectfully acknowledge their presence with a smile, nod, wave, or “hi” but have learnt my lesson early never to actually stop moving and give them my full attention. There will be the odd drunk who raises his voice and says something in Kikuyu which an edge and I can immediately sense the bad vibrations. Seeing me angers them. I will have more to say about this hostility later. To date, I have not received any overtly physical threats (at least, in English). My physical safety has never been threatened and no one has tried to touch me.

The sober adults are reserved, do not stare (at least when I look their way), and hardly ever stop me. During my first couple weeks, I paused and said hi with a smile to almost every decent person I could, shaking hands on many occasions. The novelty has worn off by now. However when I walk I still stop for kids most of the time. Their curious, innocent eyes devoid of any malice can be hard to brush off. Some are shy, others outgoing. They seem to be fascinated with my skin and many touch my arms and hands, perhaps thinking that lighter skin feels different from theirs. After touching my skin, some give off mischievous laughs. I ask them their names, where they are from, their age, and what they want to become. The level of ambition is striking for children under 10. The most common profession I’ve heard has been a doctor. Lawyer, pilot, and engineer also tend to be recurring ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment